General Services Department Logo

This website cannot be viewed properly using this version of Internet Explorer.

To ensure your security while viewing this site, please use a modern browser such as Chrome or update to a newer version of Internet Explorer.

Download Chrome (Made by Google)
Update Internet Explorer (Made by Microsoft)

Central Complex


 Bataan Memorial

Address: 300 Galisteo
Square Footage: 131,535
Year Built: 1900
With additions in the 1950's
 
Bataan Bataan Bataan
 
Customer Agencies:
 
Building Information:
 
The building is named in memorial for the many New Mexico veterans serving in the 200th Coast Artillery (Regiment) during World War II, who in April 1942 fought a courageous battle in the Philippines. The story of the Regiment and the other defenders reached its tragic climax with the horrors and atrocities of the 65-mile "Death March" from Mariveles to San Fernando. This infamous march was followed by forty months in Prisoner of War Camps. Of the eighteen hundred men in the Regiment, less than nine hundred made it back home and within one-year a third of them died from various complications.
 
The building served as the State Capitol Building from 1900 to 1966. In the mid 1950's the building underwent a major renovation, which totally changed the appearance of the building, to its current Territorial style. In the 1970's the building underwent another major renovation, which modified the interior of the building.
 
 

 Concha Ortiz y Pino Building

Address: 130 South Capital
Square Footage: 31,843
Year Acquired: 2003
 
Concha Ortiz y Pino Building Concha Ortiz y Pino Building
 
Customer Agencies:
Building Information:

In 2003, the State of New Mexico purchased this building from the National Education Association, formerly known as the “NEA” building. The building was dedicated as the Concha Ortiz y Pino Building. Concha Ortiz y Pino was born on 23 May 1910 in Galisteo, New Mexico. Her formal education began at Loretto Academy and was continued at the University of New Mexico and for some time at the George Washington University in Washington, D.C.

In the thirties, she began to revive New Mexican folklore, arts and crafts, to renew the interest in it as well as to give some artisans the possibility to earn some money. In 1937, Concha was elected to the State Legislature where she stayed on until 1942. She was appointed to various house committees and in 1940 was the first woman to become the Majority Whip in a State Legislature. During her tenure in office, she was interested in bilingual education for children (which cost her bitter fights with the League of United Latin American Citizens [LULAC]) and in better relations to New Mexico's neighbors to the south.

Marriage to Victor Kleven in 1943 and defeat in her third re-election attempt did not slow down her social, political, and economic activities. Besides being involved in numerous social affairs and having served in many social and political associations, committees, and commissions, she ran the family ranch for several years in Aqua Verde, until 1956 when her husband died and she returned to Albuquerque.

Back in Albuquerque, she became heavily involved in community work and ever since then she served on civic boards, committees, councils, and/or commissions. Mrs. Kleven received many honors for her engagements in political and social affairs, and she passed away on September 30 2006.
 

 Jerry Apodaca Building

Address: 424 Galisteo
Square Footage: 57,478
Built: 1950
 
Jerry Apodaca
 

Customer Agencies:
Building Information:

This building for many years has housed the New Mexico Department of Education and was known simply as the Education Building. In 2004, the building was renamed, in honor of former New Mexico Governor, Jerry Apodaca. Raymond S. Governor “Jerry” Apodaca was born October 3, 1934. Apodaca earned a bachelor of science from the University of New Mexico. In 1965, Apodaca was elected to the New Mexico State Senate where he served until 1974 when he was elected as the first Hispanic Governor in the United States since 1918.

One of Governor Apodaca’s priorities was the reorganization of state government. In 1975 he created a consolidated cabinet system of government with twelve major departments. Apodaca was appointed to a national level position by President Jimmy Carter who named him Chair of the President’s Council on Physical fitness in 1978. Apodaca also served in the marine reserves and was a founder of Vista Magazine and was the publisher of Hispanic Magazine. Apodaca also served on the University of New Mexico Board of Regents, from 1985 to 1991.  
 

 


 Paul Bardacke Complex

 

Two buildings or one? The Paul Bardacke Complex in reality is two adjoining buildings forming one office complex. First the east wing of the original structure was demolished and a new modern office building constructed in its place. Then, the 1934 west wing of the building was renovated and in the process a new standard for excellence in design was established. The 1934 Villagra building renovation achieved recognition by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) as a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) – Gold level for Commercial Interiors. In 2006 this was only the third LEED-Gold Commercial Interiors in New Mexico.


Mr. Bardacke was formerly a partner of Eaves, Bardacke, Baugh, Kierst & Larson, P.A. and was admitted to bar, 1969, California; 1970, New Mexico and U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico; 1976, U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit; 1978, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit; 1979, U.S. Supreme Court. Mr. Bardacke attended the University of California at Santa Barbara (B.A., cum laude, 1966); University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall (J.D., 1969). Reginald Heber Smith Fellowship, 1969-1970.

In the past, Mr. Bardacke has served as: Attorney General, State of New Mexico, 1983- 1986; Special U.S. Attorney for District of New Mexico, 1984-1985; Instructor, Evidence and Trial Practice, University of New Mexico Law School, 1973-1982; Faculty, National Institute of Trial Advocacy, 1978 -- ; and Special Counsel to State of New Mexico, Windfall Profits Tax Litigation, 1981-1985.


 Villagra Wing

Address: 408 Galisteo
Square Footage: 59,023
Year Built: 1934
New Addition: 2005
1934 Wing Renovated: 2005
 
Villagra Wing
 

Customer Agencies:

Building Information:


The building is believed to have been named for Gaspar Pérez de Villagrá, who was among the colonists traveling with Juan de Oñate, Captain Gaspar Pérez de Villagrá wrote the epic poem La Historía of Nuevo México, which celebrated Oñate's achievements