" I am proud to serve as chairman of the Governor’s Task Force on Procurement Reform. The mission of our group is to:
- Study the State Procurement Code
- Identify issues associated with the procurement process and
- Work toward needed improvements or corrections
The goal is to streamline the procurement process across all state agencies, improving accountability and transparency in an effort to help state government operate at maximum efficiency.
The objectives of the task force are to:
- Streamline and simplify the procurement process
- Re-engineer procurement process and incorporate process improvements
- Review and update procurement code as appropriate
- Increase transparency of procurement processes
- Automate processes and eliminate unnecessary paper processing
- Increase reporting data accuracy
- Validate appropriate use of Emergency and Sole Source Procurements
- Ensure fair, open and consistent procurement process throughout State
Many agencies complain the procurement process is too time-consuming or that there is a lack of standardized practices. The task force is charged with finding ways to improve oversight so the process can be better protected against abuse or corruption. There are also concerns that preferences built into the system, such as those crafted to benefit New Mexico businesses, might not always have the intended effect.
These are a few of the challenges we face. Because I am committed to ensuring that New Mexico taxpayers get the best return on their tax dollars, I look forward to working closely with the task force as we develop, present and implement our recommendations."
Chairman of the Procurement Reform Task Force